Police detonate suspicious package
Nov 6, 2012 / 5:50 am
It took about four hours, but residents of a usually quiet suburban Vancouver neighbourhood were finally back in their homes Monday night after an evacuation.
Delta Police Const. Ciaran Feenan says as many as 20 homes were cleared just before 3 p.m. Monday afternoon when officers were tipped about a suspicious package.
Feenan says the RCMP's bomb disposal team was called and a football-sized package was destroyed during a controlled explosion.
Investigators are certain the item was explosive, but they are still trying to determine who left the package, or why.
On Friday, a crude explosive device was found on the SkyTrain tracks between two Surrey stations, and was destroyed without causing any damage.
That incident has prompted increased security on the SkyTrain system, but no suspects have been identified in either the Surrey or Delta incidents. (CKNW)
Read more BC News
- School trustees want special hydro rate
- Sea otter shot in face now stable
- Richmond man shot in tile store
- Incest father has sentence doubled
- BC NDP seeks to abolish Senate
- Driver plows SUV in grocery store
- BC strikes tentative union deals
- Teen labelled as high risk for terrorism
- Pot referendum pipe dream up in smoke
- Woman's body found in Burnaby suite
- Accused's ex-girlfriend helped sell drugs
- Grand theft vessel after ferry stolen
(Click for RSS instructions.)