Third giraffe dies at Aldergrove Zoo
Nov 4, 2012 / 7:12 pm
(We do not know if the giraffe shown in the video is the one that passed away)
A giraffe has died at the Greater Vancouver Zoo, the third to die there in the past year.
The zoo says the giraffe, a 12-year-old named Jafari, was found dead in his heated barn Sunday morning by staff.
They say the animal was healthy and the cause of his death is unknown.
Zoo manager Jody Henderson says the giraffe came to the suburban Vancouver zoo when he was six months old, in 2001, from the Granby zoo.
Two other giraffes, a three-year-old and a 23-year-old, died in November of last year at the zoo in Aldergrove, 45 kilometres east of Vancouver.
In June 2006 the zoo came under scrutiny when a baby giraffe born at the zoo died after eight days, and in 2009 the SPCA launched an investigation after four zebras died shortly after two cape buffalo were put in their enclosure.
Read more BC News
- Ferry officer will appeal conviction
- ATV rider swept over falls, killed
- Evacuation order lifted near Ashcroft
- Rock hits tent killing girl, 10 and her dad
- Hwy. 97C at Ashcroft is open
- Fisherman catches a body in his net
- Forest fire Evacuation Alert now an Order
- Artifacts stolen from God's house
- Evacuation alert in Thompson-Nicola
- Kamloops man shot in leg
- Mounties shoot man on SkyTrain
- Targeted shooting at a Coquitlam home
(Click for RSS instructions.)