Third giraffe dies at Aldergrove Zoo
Nov 4, 2012 / 7:12 pm
(We do not know if the giraffe shown in the video is the one that passed away)
A giraffe has died at the Greater Vancouver Zoo, the third to die there in the past year.
The zoo says the giraffe, a 12-year-old named Jafari, was found dead in his heated barn Sunday morning by staff.
They say the animal was healthy and the cause of his death is unknown.
Zoo manager Jody Henderson says the giraffe came to the suburban Vancouver zoo when he was six months old, in 2001, from the Granby zoo.
Two other giraffes, a three-year-old and a 23-year-old, died in November of last year at the zoo in Aldergrove, 45 kilometres east of Vancouver.
In June 2006 the zoo came under scrutiny when a baby giraffe born at the zoo died after eight days, and in 2009 the SPCA launched an investigation after four zebras died shortly after two cape buffalo were put in their enclosure.
Read more BC News
- Body of missing senior found
- Atheist ad rejected by billboard company
- Site C dam will drown their dream home
- Suspect damages police cars in Burnaby
- Canadian luge team: 2nd in World Cup
- Woman convicted for stabbing ex
- Boater rescued from remote BC channel
- 54,000 without power near Victoria
- Crash near Cranbrook kills 2
- School trustees want special hydro rate
- Sea otter shot in face now stable
- Richmond man shot in tile store
(Click for RSS instructions.)