Hotel standoff ends
Oct 15, 2012 / 1:15 pm
CTV British Columbia
Published Monday, Oct. 15, 2012 7:14AM PDT
Last Updated Monday, Oct. 15, 2012 12:36PM PDT
The armed gunman who caused a nine-hour standoff at the Fairmont Pacific Rim has been arrested, police said Monday afternoon.
Cst. Brian Montague said a distraught man entered the hotel waving a hand gun at 2:30 a.m. Police quickly locked down the hotel and contained the man in an area on the second or third floor.
The 28-year-old Surrey man with a history of mental illness, who is known to police, was contained in a public area of the hotel as negotiators spoke with him.
Police said the South Asian man was arrested and taken to hospital with minor injuries at around 12:15 p.m. Due to his mental health history, police were concerned he may harm himself.
According to police, the man now faces possible weapons-related charges.
Hotel management confirmed to CTV News that 90 per cent of hotel guests and residents in 200 rooms were safely evacuated by noon.
In a testament to the power of social media, the hotel used Twitter to evacuate a bride who couldn’t get to her wedding because she was trapped in one of the rooms.
“There is a bride trapped inside the #PacificRim right now that needs to get to her wedding! Please help her!!!!,” @zahfparoo tweeted.
The Fairmont Pacific Rim responded, “Please let us know room number and we will ensure she is evacuated,” and the bride was safely escorted out of the hotel and to her wedding.
Montague confirmed everyone who wanted to leave the hotel was evacuated.
Read more BC News
- Coal mine rejected on Vancouver Island
- Ahmadiyya mosque opens in Delta
- BC NDP's bus ride went beyond Hope
- Vancouver man shot dead in Costa Rica
- Company intercepts LSD-laced mail
- Hydro project to go ahead in northern BC
- Pickton victims' families skeptical
- Coroners warn of water danger
- RCMP surround Langley home
- Beware of counterfeit polymer $100's
- Cowichan to close six middle schools
- Tips for staying safe this long weekend
(Click for RSS instructions.)