Alberta kayaker's body discovered
Oct 15, 2012 / 10:06 am
The body of a missing kayaker from Canmore, Alberta has been discovered in the Cheakamus River near Whistler.
Whistler Pemberton RCMP has confirmed that the body is that of 19-year-old Peter Thompson, who went missing Sept. 28 after going over a waterfall on the river.
“On October 13, several of the missing male's friends attended the area and observed the stern of the missing male's kayak sticking out of the water,” said Sgt. Steve LeClair in a press release Monday. “They were able to dislodge the kayak which still contained the body of the male.”
The body was secured downstream and removed from the area with the assistance of Whistler Search and Rescue.
Read more BC News
- Coal mine rejected on Vancouver Island
- Ahmadiyya mosque opens in Delta
- BC NDP's bus ride went beyond Hope
- Vancouver man shot dead in Costa Rica
- Company intercepts LSD-laced mail
- Hydro project to go ahead in northern BC
- Pickton victims' families skeptical
- Coroners warn of water danger
- RCMP surround Langley home
- Beware of counterfeit polymer $100's
- Cowichan to close six middle schools
- Tips for staying safe this long weekend
(Click for RSS instructions.)