RCMP anticipating busy weekend
Oct 6, 2012 / 8:42 am
One thing you can bank on during a long weekend in the Okanagan is plenty of traffic on the valley's highways and byways.
In fact, this weekend, the North Okanagan RCMP issued a reminder to motorists that there will be an increase in traffic sharing British Columbia’s highways this holiday weekend.
Cpl. Gerry Kovacs says there will also be more police out this weekend to ensure the safety of drivers and their passengers and also to watch for speeders.
"Our commitment to Road Safety is a priority; drivers can expect to see high visibility road checks focusing on drinking drivers. The North Okanagan RCMP wishes to remind all users of our roadways to take some extra time, be courteous and stay vigilant," stated Kovacs.
Already this weekend, a crash is affecting traffic in the BC Interior.
DriveBC reports that Highway 5A is still closed after a "vehicle incident" forced the closure of the route near Stump Lake.
Emergency crews don't expect that section of the highway to reopen until noon on Saturday at the earliest.
Read more BC News
- Get hooked (for free) this Father's Day
- Police investigate Surrey shooting
- Hotel staff find dead body
- A cherry of a deal with China
- Cyclist killed near Kamloops
- SUV crashes off Mayne Island
- Man and woman hurt in double shooting
- Pipeline spill southwest of Merritt
- Charges laid in skateboard assault case
- Pipeline backlash following latest spill
- Crash of small plane claims lone pilot
- Woman gives birth at Richmond mall
(Click for RSS instructions.)