BC Liberals: What's in a name
Sep 17, 2012 / 11:52 am
The BC Liberal party will be taking its name into the next provincial election in May, after a three-member committee ruled out a name change.
MLA Colin Hansen says the committee concluded there's not enough time to try and rebrand the party before voters go to the polls.
Hansen says the committee recommended that the idea should still be put on the agenda for the next convention after the 2013 election.
He says one of the challenges is that many of the names people suggested were unavailable because they were already registered with Elections BC.
The call for a name change came at the last Liberal convention, where some party members said the name is too close to the federal Liberal party, even though there's no connection between them.
East Kootenay MLA Bill Bennett says the Liberal name is a liability in his riding and that name change is long overdue. (CHNL)
Read more BC News
- Pickton victims' families skeptical
- Coroners warn of water danger
- RCMP surround Langley home
- Beware of counterfeit polymer $100's
- Cowichan to close six middle schools
- Tips for staying safe this long weekend
- Body recovered at Golden Ears Park
- Body recovered from creek
- Fire prohibitions start today
- Elections BC: don't tweet on election day
- Fire fighters aided by rain, cool temps
- Ferry officer will appeal conviction
(Click for RSS instructions.)