BC sends wildfire crews to the US
Sep 17, 2012 / 10:26 am
British Columbia is sending firefighters to Washington State to help battle five large wildfires burning south of the border.
BC's Wildfire Management Branch says 103 people are travelling to Washington State and could remain there for up to 19 days.
They'll join 3,500 firefighters from Washington and Oregon working on blazes including a complex of fires near Wenatchee, east of Seattle, that covers more than 114 square kilometres and is only 10 per cent contained.
The deployment marks the sixth time this year that BC has sent wildfire fighters out of province.
Fire Information officer Melissa Welch says as many as 500 firefighters remain in BC, enough to respond to any fires that may break out in this region.
(The Canadian Press, CHNL)
Read more BC News
- Ferry officer will appeal conviction
- ATV rider swept over falls, killed
- Evacuation order lifted near Ashcroft
- Rock hits tent killing girl, 10 and her dad
- Hwy. 97C at Ashcroft is open
- Fisherman catches a body in his net
- Forest fire Evacuation Alert now an Order
- Artifacts stolen from God's house
- Evacuation alert in Thompson-Nicola
- Kamloops man shot in leg
- Mounties shoot man on SkyTrain
- Targeted shooting at a Coquitlam home
(Click for RSS instructions.)