BC not so free with information
Sep 13, 2012 / 9:54 pm
The British Columbia government responds to nearly a quarter of all requests under freedom-of-information laws by insisting it has no records to offer, according to statistics compiled by a group that argues the dramatic increase in such cases raises serious questions about public accountability.
The BC Freedom of Information and Privacy Association filed a complaint this week with the province's information and privacy commissioner, suggesting the trend is either a sign the province isn't releasing all the information it could or, worse, a symptom of a government that avoids keeping records to skirt the law.
The group compiled statistics, available on the provincial government's website, that indicate the number of such cases has increased sharply in the past decade. In 2002-2003, there were no cases in which the government could not find any records to satisfy a request; today, that scenario accounts for 23 per cent of all requests.
"We've seen examples where you'd expect records to exist and they don't exist," the association's executive director, Vincent Gogolek, said in an interview Thursday.
"The phenomenon is clear. The records are not coming out."
Gogolek wrote the province's information commissioner, Elizabeth Denham, asking her to launch an investigation. Denham's office declined to comment but confirmed she had received the letter.
Last year, Premier Christy Clark promised a new era of accountability, saying her government would release more information without the need for freedom-of-information requests, distribute documents released through such requests through its website, and post a host of government data online.
Citizens' Services Minister Ben Stewart repeated the government's previous claim that much of the increase in requests that do not generate records is due to requesters using a centralized online form to send the same request to multiple ministries. That trend increases the requests that don't produce any records, the government argues, because not every ministry has records on a particular topic.
He also noted the sheer volume of freedom-of-information requests has increased significantly. The government's own statistics show there were nearly 3,200 requests in 2011-2012, compared to roughly 1,900 a decade ago.
"In a lot of cases, ministries don't have the information," Smith said in an interview.
Smith rejected the suggestion from critics such as Gogolek that government officials may be avoiding putting things on paper to prevent such documents from then being released through freedom-of-information requests.
"Personally, I don't think government can operate that way," said Smith.
"I think government is trying to make certain that information is published."
That is something that Ken Dobell, a deputy minister to former premier Gordon Campbell, once openly admitted, saying he avoided taking notes of meetings and quickly deleted emails to prevent them from being released.
Provincial, federal and municipal governments across Canada each have freedom-of-information laws that allow anyone to request government documents, from internal reports and audits to communications between bureaucrats.
Such laws, and more importantly, governments' willingness to live up to them, are a constant source of frustration among journalists, interest groups and opposition parties, who frequently complain governments take far too long to respond to such requests, cover documents they do release with sweeping redactions, and in some cases refuse to release any documents at all.
Gogolek said his statistics show reporters who file freedom-of-information requests fare even worse, with 33.5 per cent of their requests turning up no records.
Journalists who use the freedom-of-information system in the province don't have to look far to find examples of this.
For instance, The Canadian Press recently filed a request for all documents prepared for Premier Christy Clark and her staff either before or after a meeting she held with Alberta Premier Alison Redford in late July.
The two premiers met, unannounced, days before Clark outlined a dramatic change in her government's policy related to the controversial Northern Gateway pipeline project, laying out five demands for her support, including greater economic compensation.
Yet a request for any records related to that meeting, such as briefing notes, memos, agendas or meeting minutes, turned up nothing.
"Although a thorough search was conducted, no records were located in response to your request," said a formal government response.
Gogolek pointed to a request his group filed several years ago for information related to a 33 per cent fare reduction at BC Ferries, a former Crown corporation that operates the province's coastal ferry service.
The sale was initially proposed by then-premier Gordon Campbell and the association wanted documents related to that proposal, but their request didn't turn up anything of the sort.
After filing a formal complaint, the association received an explanation from Campbell's deputy minister at the time, Allan Seckel: "The 'proposal' ... was oral, hence why no records in relation to such a 'proposal' were located."
Read more BC News
- Man and woman hurt in double shooting
- Pipeline spill southwest of Merritt
- Charges laid in skateboard assault case
- Pipeline backlash following latest spill
- Crash of small plane claims lone pilot
- Woman gives birth at Richmond mall
- Pin pad fraud
- Malaysian company to invest $16B
- Premier's first priority? Raises for staff
- Charges approved against 229 in riot
- RCMP seeking stolen dirtbike
- Okanagan prepares for invasive species
(Click for RSS instructions.)