Abused German Shepherd dies
Jul 19, 2012 / 8:34 pm
A two-year-old German shepherd found beaten and left for dead in a dumpster in Vancouver on Wednesday has died.
The BC SPCA says the dog went into cardiac arrest around 6 p.m. Thursday, and despite working on the animal for half an hour, medical staff could not revive it.
Marcie Moriarty, the manager of cruelty investigations, says the dog was in critical condition when it was found wrapped in a blood stained blanket in the dumpster behind an apartment building.
Moriarty says in addition to substantial lacerations and bruising, tests revealed the dog was also suffering neurological damage and was likely quadriplegic.
SPCA investigators say they have identified the dog's owner and are conducting a forensic investigation, but say it's too early to confirm if charges will be laid.
The dog was conscious but barely responsive when discovered by someone walking past the dumpster on Wednesday morning.
Read more BC News
- Ferry officer will appeal conviction
- ATV rider swept over falls, killed
- Evacuation order lifted near Ashcroft
- Rock hits tent killing girl, 10 and her dad
- Hwy. 97C at Ashcroft is open
- Fisherman catches a body in his net
- Forest fire Evacuation Alert now an Order
- Artifacts stolen from God's house
- Evacuation alert in Thompson-Nicola
- Kamloops man shot in leg
- Mounties shoot man on SkyTrain
- Targeted shooting at a Coquitlam home
(Click for RSS instructions.)