Woman, 83, banned from driving
Jun 12, 2012 / 8:22 pm
An 83-year-old woman has been fined and issued a temporary driving ban after a car went out of control and killed a man sitting at a picnic table at Victoria International Airport last year.
Shirley Zerbin of Saanich pleaded guilty to driving without due care and attention, was fined $1,500 and banned from driving for three years.
She was driving her car out of a parking area last July when it ran over a curb and plowed into a picnic table where a group of taxi drivers was sitting.
The crash killed one of the drivers, 57-year-old Ramesh Sharma, and injured six other men, along with Zerbin.
Her lawyer says Zerbin stepped on the gas by mistake and couldn't find the brake, and she will not try to renew her driver's license. (CFAX)
Read more BC News
- Coal mine rejected on Vancouver Island
- Ahmadiyya mosque opens in Delta
- BC NDP's bus ride went beyond Hope
- Vancouver man shot dead in Costa Rica
- Company intercepts LSD-laced mail
- Hydro project to go ahead in northern BC
- Pickton victims' families skeptical
- Coroners warn of water danger
- RCMP surround Langley home
- Beware of counterfeit polymer $100's
- Cowichan to close six middle schools
- Tips for staying safe this long weekend
(Click for RSS instructions.)