Highway 1 re-opens
Jun 7, 2012 / 12:00 pm
UPDATE 12:05 P.M. - As of noon Thursday the Trans Canada Highway between Golden and Revelstoke re-opened to traffic. A mudslide Wednesday morning caused closure of the highway for more than 24 hours.
The Trans Canada Highway (Highway 1) remains closed between Revelstoke and Golden due to a mudslide.
The highway has been closed now for more than 24 hours as crews attempt to clear the mudslide in Glacier National Park, 60 km west of Golden.
The mudslide hit early Wednesday morning trapping motorists on either side of the busy Trans Canada route.
According to DriveBC, a lack of precipitation through the night enabled crews to make progress with the control and clean up of debris flow.
Travelers should adjust travel plans accordingly and consider alternate routes. Delays at inland ferry crossings due to high traffic volumes are anticipated.
DriveBC's new estimated time of opening is noon Thursday, however, their level of confidence is only moderate.
The situation will be updated again at 11 a.m.
Check DriveBC for more information.
Read more BC News
- Pickton victims' families skeptical
- Coroners warn of water danger
- RCMP surround Langley home
- Beware of counterfeit polymer $100's
- Cowichan to close six middle schools
- Tips for staying safe this long weekend
- Body recovered at Golden Ears Park
- Body recovered from creek
- Fire prohibitions start today
- Elections BC: don't tweet on election day
- Fire fighters aided by rain, cool temps
- Ferry officer will appeal conviction
(Click for RSS instructions.)