Crashes, weather closes Coquihalla
Nov 23, 2011 / 10:15 am
Road conditions along the Coquihalla Highway between Merritt and Hope continue to deteriorate as a storm pounds the region.
Several accidents have been reported on that stretch of Highway 5, forcing officials to close the highway at Exit 183, Othello Road.
Flaggers are turning vehicles back at that point.
According to DriveBC, the area around Othello Road is not expected to reopen until noon at the earliest.
Another crash at the Great Bear Snowshed is causing further delays.
A travel advisory is in effect.
Officials say travel is not recommended unless absolutely necessary.
Travel along Highway 1 is not much better.
The stretch through the Fraser Canyon between Yale and Boston Bar is closed due to a crash and a high avalanche hazard.
A travel advisory is also in effect from Craigallachie through Rogers Pass to the Alberta border. Heavy snow, rain and freezing rain is expected in the area through Wednesday evening.
Motorists are advised that slippery conditions may persist over the next 48 hours.
Travellers are advised to exercise extreme caution or consider alternate routes.
Read more BC News
- Pickton victims' families skeptical
- Coroners warn of water danger
- RCMP surround Langley home
- Beware of counterfeit polymer $100's
- Cowichan to close six middle schools
- Tips for staying safe this long weekend
- Body recovered at Golden Ears Park
- Body recovered from creek
- Fire prohibitions start today
- Elections BC: don't tweet on election day
- Fire fighters aided by rain, cool temps
- Ferry officer will appeal conviction
(Click for RSS instructions.)