No fault in toddler's death

A B.C. Coroners Service report says an Abbotsford hospital did nothing wrong when it sent home a three-year-old girl who died hours later after being re-admitted.

Nimrat Gill died on Feb. 7, 2017, just five hours after she entered the Abbotsford Regional Hospital's Emergency Room for the second time in 24 hours. 

Coroner Adele Lambert's report, released Tuesday, determined the death was natural and made no recommendations for improvement.

Gill had an aggressive bacterial infection and pneumonia when she was brought to the hospital, and staff originally told her parents to take her home and treat her with Tylenol or Advil. Gill's parents brought her back to the hospital several hours later, where the toddler later died.

Following her death, lab results showed Gill had a fast-moving and aggressive form of Group A streptococcal disease and pneumonia.

Since Gill's death, Fraser Health has made several adjustments to procedure, including sepsis screening for all pediatric patients presented at triage and regular training in pediatric emergencies.

– with files from CTV Vancouver

More BC News

Vancouver Webcam
Webcam provided by webcams.travel
Recent Trending
Okanagan Oldies
Castanet Proud Member of RTNDA Canada