Friday, October 31st9.0°C
23696
23040

Accused wants lesser charge

The lawyer for a British Columbia man accused of killing three women and a 15-year-old girl has asked the jury to convict his client of second-degree murder.

Twenty-four-year-old Cody Legebokoff admitted in B.C. Supreme Court last week that he was present when the three women died but that he didn't murder them and said the girl killed herself.

He refused to name his alleged accomplices, saying he didn't want to go to prison being labelled a "rat."

His lawyer, James Heller, told the jury there is reasonable doubt that the murders were planned and deliberate.

Heller told jurors that he didn't expect them to believe every word of Legebokoff's testimony but he hoped they would consider the plausibility of some of his statements.

Legebokoff is charged with four counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of Jill Stuchenko and Cynthia Maas, both 35, Natasha Montgomery, 23, and 15-year-old Loren Leslie.

Deliberations in the trial are expected to begin next week. 

The Canadian Press

COMMENTS WELCOME

Comments on this story are pre-moderated and approval times may vary. Before they appear, comments are reviewed by moderators to ensure they meet our submission guidelines. Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments are open and welcome for three days after the story is published. We reserve the right to close comments before then. Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of Castanet, but only of the comment writer.



Read more BC News

22970


Recent Trending





23854











Member of BC Press Council


23717