UPDATE 12:30 P.M.
The Maka-Murray wildfire is now over 400 hectares, and continuing to grow rapidly.
It is ten times the size it was when first reported Tuesday afternoon.
Fire fighters, air-tankers and helicopters have responded to the fire over the past few days.
There is currently a crew assigned to this fire with helicopter support.
A evacuation alert remains in effect for the area, see full details below.
A rapidly moving wildfire currently located near the area of Maka-Murray Lake in Electoral Area “N” (Beautiful Nicola Valley South) is threatening the people and property in the area.
Because of the potential danger to life and health, the Thompson-Nicola Regional District has ordered everyone to evacuate the following areas immediately:
- From the southeast boundary, the intersection of Maka-Murray Forest Service Road and the Coquihalla Highway.
- Travelling approximately 4 km northeast along the Coquihalla Highway.
- North to the northeast corner of Section 12, Township 10, Range 23, West of the 6th Meridian.
- West to the northwest corner of Section 12, Township 10, Range 23, West of the 6th Meridian.
- The southwest corner of Section 23, Township 9, Range 23, West of the 6th Meridian.
All residents must leave the described area immediately. If you are a permanent resident of the described area, please contact Jason Tomlin at 250-819-4105, [email protected] It is also suggested that evacuees turn off the power and propane to their residences.
A state of local emergency has also been placed on the area due to the wildfire.