Sunday, December 21st4.3°C
24562
24152

Mediation off the table

Mediation is off the table for now in the ongoing labour dispute between British Columbia's striking teachers and their employer, after a second proposed mediator declined to get involved.

The teachers' union and the government each placed the blame on the other Wednesday for bringing the conflict to a stalemate.

Together, the parties approached B.C. Supreme Court Judge Stephen Kelleher last week about stepping in as the dispute drags into the summer. Following "exploratory discussions" with both sides he decided against proceeding any further as the independent third-party problem solver.

The BC Teachers' Federation and BC Public School Employers' Association had agreed to approach Kelleher after veteran mediator Vince Ready said he was unavailable due to his work schedule.

Union president Jim Iker pointed a finger at the government for putting up an obstacle to bargaining, saying it wanted to impose a "series of unworkable pre-conditions" prior to entering mediation. He said government was asking the union to agree to a specific wage offer before it would disclose its proposal for improving classroom conditions.

"The preconditions would have pre-determined the outcome," he said during a news conference. "I hope the government will reconsider its restrictive approach."

But Education Minister Peter Fassbender refuted the charge, saying the government has repeatedly stated it will not divert from the wage offer it has agreed to with about half of all other public sector unions.

He said regardless of whether a mediator gets involved, the union must move into what the government has dubbed its "affordability zone." The minister said the millions of dollars in benefits being sought by teachers are the chasm between the two parties.

"This government is not going to go into deficit to satisfy the needs of the BCTF," he told reporters during a conference call. "Until they get realistic, we get caught in this standoff."

With no further talks scheduled and a negotiated deal looking increasingly unlikely, Fassbender reiterated that government will not move to legislate teachers back to work.

But he declined to say just what options the ministry is considering "to ensure students are looked after" come September, as promised.

More than 40,000 teachers walked off the job on June 17, casting about half a million students out of classes about two weeks before the summer break.

The province's 60 school districts were deliberating on Wednesday how to handle the dispute's impact on summer school, which the teachers have previously announced they'll picket.

Last week, the B.C. Labour Relations Board ruled schools must hold summer classes for students in Grades 10 to 12 who failed a course, but only if the course won't be on the time-table next year. The board asked school districts to compile a list of these courses, although several districts have already announced closures.

The Vancouver School Board said it would shut down for the summer because it has no students who meet the labour tribunal order's requirements.

"This is really unfortunate," Supt. Steve Cardwell said in a statement. "However, the reality is that without our teaching and support staff due to the prospect of picket lines at our school sites, summer school will not be able to happen."

Chilliwack, Williams Lake and Campbell River will also cancel summer classes but have not said if the board's ruling will force them to offer courses considered essential. Prince George said it has no courses meeting the criteria and will also cancel all summer classes.

Abbotsford will make courses the labour board deemed essential accessible through the district's online learning website.

___

Follow @TamsynBurgmann on Twitter

The Canadian Press

COMMENTS WELCOME

Comments on this story are pre-moderated and approval times may vary. Before they appear, comments are reviewed by moderators to ensure they meet our submission guidelines. Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments are open and welcome for three days after the story is published. We reserve the right to close comments before then. Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of Castanet, but only of the comment writer.



Read more BC News

24588


Recent Trending



24130

23643


23735

23898






Member of BC Press Council


22842