Three injured in shooting

UPDATE 3:00 P.M. JUNE 11, 2014

Charges have now been laid in yesterday’s (Tuesday's) shooting in downtown Vancouver, which injured three people including a police officer, the victim and the alleged shooter. 

The Vancouver Police Department says 61-year-old Gerald Mark Battersby has now been charged with six counts of attempted murder. 

The VPD says shortly after 11 a.m., the 52-year-old victim was out front of the Starbucks on Davie Street when he was approached and shot. Police officers happened to be nearby, challenged the alleged shooter and exchanged several shots.

"The man fled on a bike along the seawall pursued by police. Dozens of officers flooded the area and found the suspect on the sea wall at Science World. A second exchange of gun fire occurred.

The suspect was shot and one police officer received minor injuries from flying glass when the window of her police car was shot out," stated the police statement. 

Battersby remains in hospital under guard and is also facing four firearm offences on top of the attempted murder charges. 

The victim remains in hospital in stable but critical condition.

“Our thoughts are with the victim, his family and his friends,” says VPD Acting Chief Constable Doug LePard.

“Our focus will now be on completing a thorough investigation to provide Crown with the best evidence to support the charges.”

Investigators have spoken to more than 100 witnesses.

Anyone with information about the accused, those with photos or video to provide police, and those who witnessed the incident and have not yet spoken to police are asked to call the VPD Major Crime Section at (604) 717-2541 or by e-mail [email protected]

UPDATE JUNE 10 12:45 P.M.

The Vancouver Police Department has corrected their earlier reports to now say that the victim shot was a male. There are media reports that he is Paul Dragan, owner of Reckless Bike Shop. CKNW radio is reporting that the shooter was a disgruntled employee.

A second man that police believe was responsible for the shooting was then followed by police to an area of Science World, where there was an exchange of gunfire that resulted in both the man and an officer being injured.

According to the VPD the victim, who has not officially been named, is currently in serious condition in hospital. The alleged shooter is also in hospital in stable condition and the unidentified officer is being treated in hospital for minor injuries.   

The VPD says they will not be providing information about the identity of the victim or the suspect at this time.  

 UPDATE 12:15 P.M.

The Vancouver Police Department has now confirmed that three people were shot this morning, including one female victim, a police officer involved in a shootout, and the suspect himself.

The VPD stated in a release to media that police received multiple reports of shots fired outside the Starbucks on Davie Street, near Marinaside Crescent, around 11 a.m.

"When police arrived, they found a woman who had been shot. Paramedics were called and she was rushed to hospital in serious condition," said the statement. 

"A man believed to be responsible for the shooting was followed by police to the area of Science World where there was an exchange of gunfire that resulted in both the man and an officer being injured."

The alleged shooter has now been taken into custody and police say there are no other suspects outstanding.

We will have more details as the become available. 


A suspected shooter has been taken into custody by Vancouver police after gunfire erupted in two busy areas of the city Tuesday morning.

Shortly after 11 a.m., police responded to shots fired at Davie Street and Marinaside Crescent in the city’s Yaletown area.

Officers arrived to find a woman suffering gunshot wounds. She was rushed to hospital in serious condition.

A police spokesperson said the suspected shooter was followed to the area around Science World, where gunfire erupted.

“There was an exchange of gunfire that resulted in both the man and an officer being injured,” said Sgt. Randy Fincham.

The suspect was taken into custody.

Police say there are no other suspects outstanding.


Comments are pre-moderated to ensure they meet our guidelines. Approval times will vary. Keep it civil, and stay on topic. If you see an inappropriate comment, please use the ‘flag’ feature. Comments are the opinions of the comment writer, not of Castanet. Comments remain open for one day after a story is published and are closed on weekends. Visit Castanet’s Forums to start or join a discussion about this story.

More BC News

Vancouver Webcam
Webcam provided by webcams.travel
Recent Trending
Okanagan Oldies
Castanet Proud Member of RTNDA Canada