Evacuation alert rescinded
UPDATE 11:09 a.m.
The evacuation alert for Clearwater Valley Road issued late Tuesday night as now been rescinded.
"As the risk of flooding at Second Creek Canyon at Clearwater Valley Rd, north of the District of Clearwater no longer exists, there is no longer a danger to life and health," said the notice from the Thompson-Nicola Regional District.
If you require more information contact the Thompson-Nicola Regional District Emergency Operations Centre at 1-866-377-7188
ORIGINAL STORY: An evacuation alert has been issued by the Thompson-Nicola Regional District.
There is a risk of flooding at Second Creek Canyon at Clearwater Valley Rd, north of the District of Clearwater, the flooding poses an imminent threat to road access.
The notice states: 'An evacuation alert has been issued to prepare you to evacuate your premises and property should it be found necessary. Residents will be given as much advance warning as possible prior to the evacuation; however you may receive limited notice due to changing conditions.'
What you should do when an alert is in effect:
- Locate all family members and be prepared to evacuate your residence and property to an identified safe reception center.
- Gather essential items such as medications, eyeglasses, valuable papers (insurance), photographs and immediate care needs for dependants.
- Prepare to move any disabled persons and children.
- Collect pets and pet needs.
- If possible, move livestock to a safe area.
In the event an evacuation is required, residents are to exit the area by travelling south on Clearwater Valley Rd.
A Reception Center will be established at the North Thompson Sportsplex, 428 Murtle Cres., Clearwater.
All residents that have been evacuated must register with Emergency Social Services at the designated reception center. Registration provides emergency personnel and family members with a list of evacuees and will provide evacuated residents with food, shelter and other personal necessities.
If you require transportation assistance or more information contact the Thompson- Nicola Regional District Emergency Operations Centre at 1-866-377-7188
Comments on this story are pre-moderated. Before they appear, comments are reviewed by moderators to ensure they meet our submission guidelines. Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments are open and welcome for three days after the story is published. We reserve the right to close comments before then. Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of Castanet, but only of the comment writer.
Read more BC News
- Police look for bank robberKelowna
- Fall in creek leads to DUIKelowna
- Beware, bears return to valleyCentral Okanagan - 6:00 am
- Parents running out of optionsKelowna - 5:00 am