A wood stove is being blamed for an early Monday morning fire that left two in the snow in Revelstoke.
On Feb 3 at 12:44 a.m. Revelstoke Fire Rescue Services responded to a 911 call about a structure fire in the 400 block of Connaught Avenue.
“As Fire Crews arrived on scene, flames were visible from the roof of the single family residence,” said Fire Chief Rob Girard.
“We quickly determined the two occupants were out of the residence and we began an aggressive exterior fire attack followed by an interior attack of the attic,” said Girard.
Fire crews were able to extinguish the fire, located in the roof and attic area while other crews placed salvage covers in the house to protect the owner’s contents.
“This fire presented some challenges for us such as high winds, several different roof layers and laddering accesses,” added Girard.
Firefighters extinguished and overhauled the fire in just under three hours.
Girard says Emergency Social Services were activated but were unnecessary as friends assisted the two residents.
Fire crews say the fire started as a chimney fire from a wood stove that ignited the cedar shake roof.
Girard reminds those with wood burning fireplaces and stoves to clean your pellet and wood stove pipes regularly to avoid creosote build up.
“Lack of maintenance of these wood burning units can be disastrous,” added Girard.