Inquest into sawmill deaths
A public inquest will be held into the deaths of two workers who died as a result of an explosion and fire at a Burns Lake sawmill in 2012.
The BC Coroners Service says the inquest will look into the deaths of 45-year-old Robert Luggi Jr. and 42-year-old Carl Charlie. The pair were killed when the blast erupted on the evening of Jan. 20, at around 8 p.m. Twenty other workers were injured.
The public learned earlier this month that the Crown would not be going ahead with any criminal or regulatory charges in relation to the explosion and fire.
Chief coroner Lisa Lapointe says the goal of this inquest will be to prevent future deaths in similar circumstances, and to make recommendations based on the evidence presented.
The inquest jury cannot, by law, find any fault or legal responsibility.
Comments on this story are pre-moderated. Before they appear, comments are reviewed by moderators to ensure they meet our submission guidelines. Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments are open and welcome for three days after the story is published. We reserve the right to close comments before then. Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of Castanet, but only of the comment writer.
Read more BC News
- Missing snowmobilersCentral Okanagan - 7:35 am
- Grow-op garage fireKelowna - 9:08 am
- Victim sleeps in trailer to prevent theftVernon / N. Okanagan - 9:39 am
- Lumby student rules with pastaKelowna - 9:37 am
Government of BC
Provincial Emergency Program
BC Health Guide