Thursday, August 21st19.8°C
21790

Mill explosion could have been prevented

An investigation into a fire and explosion that killed two men at a northern British Columbia sawmill two years ago found it was preventable, and suggested four charges for violations of worker safety regulations.

WorkSafeBC released its report today into the fire and explosion at Babine Forest Products mill in Burns Lake, after the Crown announced last week it would not pursue the charges in part due to a flawed investigation by the provincial agency.

The report says the investigation "generally applied" the principles set out by the National Fire Protection Association but the Crown said it left significant evidence inadmissible in court.

The January 2012 explosion and fire killed 45-year-old Robert Luggi and 42-year-old Carl Charlie, and injured 20 other workers.

WorkSafe director of investigations Jeff Dolan says the agency is considering its next steps, including possible administrative penalties against Babine.

Investigators found the company knew it had an inadequate dust collection system — even after an explosion and fire almost a year earlier — and did not adequately supervise clean-up and maintenance staff.

The Canadian Press

COMMENTS WELCOME

Comments on this story are pre-moderated. Before they appear, comments are reviewed by moderators to ensure they meet our submission guidelines. Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments are open and welcome for three days after the story is published. We reserve the right to close comments before then. Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of Castanet, but only of the comment writer.



Read more BC News




Recent Trending





22625


22804

22741






Member of BC Press Council


20669