Friday, April 18th11.6°C
19345
20654

Space heater causes Revelstoke fire

A space heater used to thaw a frozen water pipe under a Revelstoke mobile home is the suspected cause of a weekend fire.

On Saturday December 7 at 11:10 a.m. Revelstoke Fire Rescue Services responded to a 911 call for a structure fire in the 900 block of Lundell Road.  

“Upon arrival fire crews quickly extinguished the fire, located under a mobile home while search teams checked for fire extension and performed ventilation,” said Fire Chief Rob Girard. 

Girard believes the fire was caused by the improperly used and unattended space heater.

“The two residents were out of the building when fire crews first arrived on scene” says Girard. 

Firefighters extinguished and overhauled the fire in just under an hour, with no injuries to the 21 fire fighters who responded.      

Girard  wants to remind people to exercise extreme caution when thawing frozen pipes and that the use of space heaters and torches to thaw them can be disastrous.

Chief Girard also reminds every one to have a working smoke alarm in your residence at all times, “it’s a sound we all can live with."

 



Read more BC News

20344


Recent Trending



19691

20953


20791

21473



BC Quick Links BC Discussion Forum
Government of BC
Wildfire News
Provincial Emergency Program
BC Health Guide
Drive BC
BC Ferries



Member of BC Press Council


20251