Mentally ill man facing assault charges
Oct 14, 2013 / 7:06 pm
A mentally ill man is facing assault charges after allegedly punching a woman and barricading himself in a Vancouver hotel room.
Const. Brian Montague says police and mental health experts negotiated with the 53-year-old man for several hours before officers forced themselves into his fifth-floor residence and arrested him.
Montague says police arrived at the hotel at about 4:30 a.m., after a woman was punched in the face, but the man refused to open his door.
He says police obtained a warrant to enter the suspect's room but continued to negotiate with him.
Montague says police were concerned that the man's deteriorating mental health would continue to pose a danger to the public.
He says the suspect has a lengthy criminal history and has previously committed unprovoked and random attacks.
Read more BC News
- Weekend road report
- Elderly man kills two pedestrians
- House fire kills 1 in Langley
- B.C. legislature dome needs pricy refit
- Kamloops - Fraud against seniors
- Coquitlam middle school evacuated
- Coquihalla reopened
- Strikes loom at Okanagan schools
- Gov't endorses alcohol sales in stores
- Whistler sled dogs still need homes
- December CounterAttack roadchecks on
- Mounties make arrest in deadly collision
(Click for RSS instructions.)