Benn lifts Canada over US
A second period goal from former Kelowna Rocket Jamie Benn was the difference in a hard-fought men’s Olympic ice hockey semifinal match that saw Canada beat USA 1-0.
The goal came 1:41 into the second period, when defenceman Jay Bouwmeester passed the puck low and hard toward the net. Benn was able to extend and put a blade on it, redirecting past USA netminder Jonathan Quick.
Carey Price picked up the shutout. Canada will now look to repeat as Olympic men’s hockey champions against Sweden on February 23 at Sochi’s Bolshoy Ice Dome.
Read more 2014 Sochi Games articles
- Vernon's Gaudet to carry Paralympic flag Mar 5
- Olympic focus shifts to South Korea Feb 24
- Rockets come up big at Olympics Feb 23
- Russia closes costliest Olympics ever Feb 23
- Steve Yzerman to leave Team Canada Feb 23
- Canada finishes fourth in medal count Feb 23
- Our game, our gold Feb 23
- Canada's flag bearers will be ... Feb 23
(Click for RSS instructions.)