Canada wins silver in speed skating
Canada has won silver in the women's 3,000-metre relay short-track speedskating event at the Sochi Olympics.
South Korea won gold in four minutes 9.498 seconds.
China came in second but was disqualified because their skaters did not immediately leave the track after passing off to their teammates.
That bumped the Canadian team of Marie-Eve Drolet, Jessica Hewitt, Valerie Maltais and Marianne St-Gelais up from third place. Canada's final time was 4:10.641.
The disqualification was a role reversal from the 2010 Vancouver Games, when South Korea was disqualified for impeding and China was promoted to the gold medal.
Italy finished well back of the top three teams after one of its skaters fell, but earned a bronze medal after China's penalty. The Italians finished in 4:14.014.
Comments on this story are pre-moderated and approval times may vary. Before they appear, comments are reviewed by moderators to ensure they meet our submission guidelines. Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments are open and welcome for three days after the story is published. We reserve the right to close comments before then. Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of Castanet, but only of the comment writer.
Read more 2014 Sochi Games articles
- Vernon's Josh Dueck named flag-bearer Mar 16
- Josh Dueck wins Canada's third gold Mar 14
- Canada gets first gold at Paralympics Mar 10
- Vernon's Gaudet to carry Paralympic flag Mar 5
- Olympic focus shifts to South Korea Feb 24
- Rockets come up big at Olympics Feb 23
- Russia closes costliest Olympics ever Feb 23
- Steve Yzerman to leave Team Canada Feb 23
(Click for RSS instructions.)