Canada beats Finland 2-1 in Sochi
Team Canada has secured the third seed in the medal round of the men's Olympic hockey tournament after a 2-1 overtime win over Finland in their final preliminary round game.
Drew Doughty scored both goals for Canada, including the winner halfway through the five-minute overtime period.
The win means Canada will play either Switzerland or Latvia in the quarter-finals.
Canada missed a chance to clinch the first seed and an easier road to the final by not winning in regulation.
Tuomo Ruutu scored Finland's only goal.
Carey Price stopped 14 shots in the Canadian net as both teams played a tight, patient game.
Tuuka Rask made 25 saves for Finland.
Comments on this story are pre-moderated and approval times may vary. Before they appear, comments are reviewed by moderators to ensure they meet our submission guidelines. Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments are open and welcome for three days after the story is published. We reserve the right to close comments before then. Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of Castanet, but only of the comment writer.
Read more 2014 Sochi Games articles
- Vernon's Josh Dueck named flag-bearer Mar 16
- Josh Dueck wins Canada's third gold Mar 14
- Canada gets first gold at Paralympics Mar 10
- Vernon's Gaudet to carry Paralympic flag Mar 5
- Olympic focus shifts to South Korea Feb 24
- Rockets come up big at Olympics Feb 23
- Russia closes costliest Olympics ever Feb 23
- Steve Yzerman to leave Team Canada Feb 23
(Click for RSS instructions.)