Canada beats US in women's hockey
Meghan Agosta-Marciano scored a pair of goals in Canada's 3-2 win over the U.S. in the Olympic women's hockey tournament Wednesday.
Agosta-Marciano also contributed an assist on her 27th birthday. Hayley Wickenheiser had a goal and an assist for the defending Olympic champions.
Canada concluded the preliminary round of the tournament 3-0 ahead of the Americans at 2-1.
The two countries had already punched their tickets to Monday's semifinals prior to the game because both started the tournament with two wins apiece.
Hilary Knight and Anne Schleper scored for the U.S., the reigning world champions.
Canadian goaltender Charline Labonte earned the win with 25 saves on 27 shots. U.S. counterpart Jesse Vetter stopped 28 of 31 in the loss.
Finland, Switzerland, Russia and Sweden will play in the quarter-finals.
Read more 2014 Sochi Games articles
- Vernon's Josh Dueck named flag-bearer Mar 16
- Josh Dueck wins Canada's third gold Mar 14
- Canada gets first gold at Paralympics Mar 10
- Vernon's Gaudet to carry Paralympic flag Mar 5
- Olympic focus shifts to South Korea Feb 24
- Rockets come up big at Olympics Feb 23
- Russia closes costliest Olympics ever Feb 23
- Steve Yzerman to leave Team Canada Feb 23
(Click for RSS instructions.)