Jun 5, 2013 / 1:57 pm
Employees of Melcor Developments were evacuated from a building on Richter and Leon, Wednesday afternoon following a bomb scare.
A suspicious bicycle had been locked up outside the building with a jerrycan strapped to its side and clocks attached.
Cpl. Bill Parmar says RCMP attended and treated the incident as a bomb threat, shutting down a portion of Richter street.
"After careful examination of the bike we determined there was nothing untoward. It was just a jerrycan strapped to a bike."
While officers were investigating the scene the owner of the bike appeared.
Parmar says the man suffers from mental health issues and had not been planning anything suspicious.
"He had found the jerrycan and was transporting it. We are now educating him on the dangers of doing so and the perceptions people may have of the jerrycan."
No charges have been laid.
The building was only evacuated for 15 minutes, before employees were allowed to return inside.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library
- FortisBC offers Union binding arbitration Dec 9
- Glenmore food drive tonight Dec 9
- Garage fire quickly knocked down Dec 9
- Thrift store celebrates 10 years strong Dec 9
- Big White Sweater Ball Dec 9
- Castanet's Week in Review Dec 8
- Kelowna teens 'write for rights' Dec 8
- Paper carrier waits for crucial surgery Dec 8
- Cost of dying going up Dec 8
- Paper carrier sent to VGH Dec 7