Jun 5, 2013 / 10:00 am
Kelowna RCMP are on the hunt for a man who sexually assaulted a woman on the Mission Greenway Monday night.
The incident occurred about 8:45 p.m. on a trail in Mission Creek Park.
Police say the 22-year-old Kelowna woman was walking along the trail when she was hit over the head, dragged into the woods near the end of the trail and sexually assaulted by an unknown male.
"Police met the victim near the main entrance at Durnin and Springfield roads and searched the area for the suspect but he could not be located," says Cst. Kris Clark.
"A secondary search for further evidence has also been completed."
Clark says the woman has been released from hospital where she was treated for injuries.
"Police believe that there may have been hikers or riders in the area at the time of the assault who may have seen or heard this incident."
RCMP are asking people walking or biking on trails to travel with a friend and avoid isolated areas.
"If you must walk alone, stay alert to your surroundings including people in the area, businesses and sources of assistance."
Clark says there is nothing to suggest this latest attack is linked to sexual assaults against women on the Greenway over the past couple of years.
Anyone with information regarding the assault is asked to contact Cst. McBride at 250-762-3300 or contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library
- Jail for man who beat his grandfather Dec 7
- Another transit driver assaulted Dec 6
- Kelowna taxpayers face hike Dec 6
- Tree of Memories honours loved ones Dec 5
- Santa goes hog wild with toy donations Dec 5
- Women's shelter launches text campaign Dec 5
- Neighbourhood crime map Dec 5
- Yacht club build behind schedule Dec 5
- New services to 'Bridge' gap for addicts Dec 5
- Powder chair now open at Big White Dec 5