Okanagan College Media Release
Okanagan College Foundation wants to hand over the keys of a classic car to rev up support for students in the trades.
“The car came to us as a bit of a windfall,” said Okanagan College Foundation executive director Kathy Butler. “When then donor mentioned she had a Mercedes she wanted to donate to us, it seemed like the perfect way to generate interest about our trades program.”
Ute Koessler moved to the Okanagan in 1997 with her family after living in Vancouver, and soon learned about the College. Koessler had recently donated her late husband Hermann's entire workshop of tools to the College’s trades department, and thought her white 1989 Mercedes-Benz 190E, valued at $3,000, would be a perfect addition.
“When I heard the College was turning 50, I thought what a great fit for my lovely classic Benz – better yet, maybe it can help raise some awareness and funds for the trades school,” she said. “Certainly someone will enjoy showing her around the Valley this summer as she has not been out and about that much."
Money raised from the raffle will be going towards trades-based scholarships and bursaries.
The raffle is officially sanctioned as a BC Gaming Event under License #54678. Only 1,500 tickets are being printed, with a single ticket selling for $5.
“It’s really a fun way to support the College, and get a car to boot,” Butler said.
Tickets are being made available for a very short window, starting May 24 and ending June 8. Tickets can be purchased at the Okanagan College Foundation office at the Kelowna campus at 1000 KLO Road, and will also be sold at the Okanagan College Spring Convocation, which takes place Saturday, June 8. The draw will be held following the ceremony.
The views expressed are strictly those of the author and not necessarily those of Castanet. Castanet presents its columns "as is" and does not warrant the contents.
- Lack of adequate support a barrier for those wishing to die at home Mar 8
- College offers accelerated training opportunity for Electricians Mar 7
- Even when given pedometers, university students don’t make time to exercise Mar 7
- Heavyweight competition on simmer for Spaghetti Bridge Mar 6
- Community celebrates research at UBC Okanagan Mar 3
- UBC management students take on challenge with SunRype Mar 1
- UBC chemistry instructor shoots for the stars—literally Feb 28
- OC business team takes silver at The Winning Pitch Feb 27
- Support swells for Silver Surfers with Interior Savings gift Feb 27
- Given the choice, patients will reach for cannabis over prescribed opioids Feb 27