Okanagan College Media Release
Okanagan College Foundation wants to hand over the keys of a classic car to rev up support for students in the trades.
“The car came to us as a bit of a windfall,” said Okanagan College Foundation executive director Kathy Butler. “When then donor mentioned she had a Mercedes she wanted to donate to us, it seemed like the perfect way to generate interest about our trades program.”
Ute Koessler moved to the Okanagan in 1997 with her family after living in Vancouver, and soon learned about the College. Koessler had recently donated her late husband Hermann's entire workshop of tools to the College’s trades department, and thought her white 1989 Mercedes-Benz 190E, valued at $3,000, would be a perfect addition.
“When I heard the College was turning 50, I thought what a great fit for my lovely classic Benz – better yet, maybe it can help raise some awareness and funds for the trades school,” she said. “Certainly someone will enjoy showing her around the Valley this summer as she has not been out and about that much."
Money raised from the raffle will be going towards trades-based scholarships and bursaries.
The raffle is officially sanctioned as a BC Gaming Event under License #54678. Only 1,500 tickets are being printed, with a single ticket selling for $5.
“It’s really a fun way to support the College, and get a car to boot,” Butler said.
Tickets are being made available for a very short window, starting May 24 and ending June 8. Tickets can be purchased at the Okanagan College Foundation office at the Kelowna campus at 1000 KLO Road, and will also be sold at the Okanagan College Spring Convocation, which takes place Saturday, June 8. The draw will be held following the ceremony.
The views expressed are strictly those of the author and not necessarily those of Castanet. Castanet presents its columns "as is" and does not warrant the contents.
- Pregnant women at risk of getting the flu are not getting vaccinated Nov 22
- Wastewater research may help protect aquatic life Nov 21
- Scholarship for Selkirk College student makes move to Okanagan College easier Nov 18
- FortisBC donation fuels new lab, teaching tools at Okanagan College Nov 18
- Sleep apnea immediately compromises blood pressure Nov 17
- Marijuana could help treat drug addiction, mental health Nov 16
- Thorpe family doubles the dollars for UBC student scholarships this year Nov 15
- Craft beer revolution on tap at Okanagan College Nov 14
- UBC prof. creates crowdsourcing map to track changes in Canada’s media Nov 9
- Capri scholarship allows UBC keeper to keep up with training Nov 4