North Okanagan residents living near creeks, streams and low lying areas should undertake measures to protect their property and reduce the risk of flooding, if they have not already done so.
Heavy rainfall in the coming week will increase flows and levels of water bodies throughout the region, making flooding more likely. Affected property owners adjacent to creeks, streams and lakes are responsible for having a plan as well as the tools and equipment necessary to protect their properties from possible flood damage.
Stockpiles of sandbags are available at the following locations:
- Sand and sand bags located at Public Works yards 2950 Patterson Ave. For after hours, call 250-546-3023
- Kalamalka Rd., across from Postill Drive
- Lavington Area – School Road across from Jeffers Park. After hours, call 250-545-5304
- Sand and sand bags located at the Public Works yards 2309 McGowan St. For after hours, call 250-838-7230
- Sand and sand bags located in gravel parking lot 2230 Shields Ave. across from Lumby Arena/Curling Rink. After hours, call 250-547-2160
RDNO - Call 250-550-3700 24/7
- Sand and sand bags located outside gate of Public Works yards located at 1511 EaglevRock Rd. For after hours, call 250-546-3013
- Vernon City Yards – outside main gate on Pleasant Valley Road corner of Okanagan Ave.
- Okanagan Landing Rd. For after hours, call 250-542-5361
- Work hours – City Yards 1900 48th Ave.
- After Hours – Vernon Fire Hall 3401 30th Street
In the municipalities of the North Okanagan, blocked culverts and water debris that causes an emergent threat of flooding should be reported to the local public works department.
In the Regional District of the North Okanagan Electoral Areas, contact the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure at 1-604-660-9770.
Read more North Okanagan News