Apr 27, 2013 / 6:11 pm
Don Cherry says the men's locker-room is no place for a woman.
The outspoken CBC hockey broadcaster made the comments during his weekly Coach's Corner segment of "Hockey Night in Canada" on Saturday night while discussing the controversy around Chicago Blackhawks defenceman Duncan Keith.
Keith was criticized earlier in the week after delivering what some considered a sexist post-game putdown to a female radio reporter in Vancouver.
Cherry believes the reporter -- Karen Thomson of Team 1040 -- shouldn't have been allowed in the Blackhawks dressing to begin with.
"I don't believe women should be in the male dressing room," said Cherry, causing his broadcast partner, Ron MacLean, to grimace.
"I remember the first time it happened to me," continued Cherry, "guys are walking around naked and I hear this woman's voice. I turn around and she's asking me about the power play. I say, 'Let's go outside.' She said, 'I'm not embarrassed.' I said, 'I am.'"
MacLean responded by voicing his support for "equal opportunity" as Cherry questioned him on whether he would be OK with men being allowed in the dressing room when MacLean's wife, Cari MacLean, plays hockey.
"You want men in the dressing room with women?" asked Cherry.
"I don't feel women are equal. I feel they're above us. I think they're on a pedestal and they should not be walking in when naked guys are walking in. And some guys take advantage of it and I don't think (they) should be."
Keith was the subject of criticism after Thomson questioned him in a post-game scrum about a slash on Canucks star Daniel Sedin during a 3-1 Chicago loss to Vancouver on Monday.
Keith took exception to her suggestion he got away with a slash.
"We should get you as a ref maybe, eh?" he said. "The first female referee. You can't play probably either, right? But you're thinking the game like you know it? OK, see ya."
Keith later apologized for the exchange and said he was "fired up" after an emotional loss and meant no disrespect to women.
Read more Sports News
- Kelowna Rockets
- West Kelowna Warriors
- Penticton Vees
- Vernon Vipers
- Kelowna Chiefs
- Penticton Lakers
- Okanagan College Coyotes
- Kelowna Minor Hockey
- Westside Minor Hockey
- Penticton Minor Hockey
- Vernon Minor Hockey
- Winfield Minor Hockey
- Pepsi Premier Hockey League
- Kelowna Ball Hockey
- Okanagan Ball Hockey
- Penticton Ball Hockey
- Sunplex Ball Hockey
- Field Hockey Okanagan
- Okanagan Rockets
- Lake Country Old-Timers Hockey Association
- Orchard City Hockey League
- Kelowna Heat Spring Hockey
- Okanagan All Stars Hockey Club
- Knights of West Kelowna
- BCHL | KIJHL | WHL | NHL
- Kelowna Women's Soccer
- Kelowna Men's Soccer
- Okanagan Challenge
- Kelowna United FC
- Central Okanagan Youth
- Kelowna Youth Soccer
- Westside Youth Soccer
- Rutland Youth Soccer
- Lake Country Youth Soccer
- Penticton Soccer Club
- South Okanagan Similkameen Youth Soccer
- Thompson Okanagan Football Club
- Sunplex Futsal League
- Pepsi Premier Soccer League
- CSA | FIFA | MLS
- Kelowna AquaJets
- Liquid Lightning Swim Club
- Ogopogo Summer Swim Club
- Okanagan Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Badminton Club
- The Penticton Yacht & Tennis
- OK Mission Tennis
- Lakeview Heights Tennis
- Vernon Tennis Association
- Squash BC Okanagan League
- ESPN Tennis
Does your local team have a website?
Email us to add your community sports link.
Cover your team's games! Write up a story and email us [email protected] for publication here.
- Eddie Lack Attack: 31 saves in shutout
- Did You See That? Corey Perry makes case for goal of the year
- Eddie Lack earns 1st shutout, Canucks clip Hurricanes
- UFC fighter Shane Del Rosario dies at 30
- Jason Spezza, Senators shake shootout curse vs. Flyers
- HNIC Radio: Ex-NHL ref Stewart dissects Pens-Bruins fiasco
- Fans request over 1.1M FIFA World Cup tickets in 24 hours
- Canada's Brian McKeever wins gold in IPC World Cup
- NHL salary cap projected at roughly $71M next season
- NHL top 5 saves of the week
- Top 5 NHL goals of the week
- Toronto FC lands Jackson from FC Dallas
(Click for RSS instructions.)