Summer is around the corner, and if you’re planning on air-travel, here are a few tips to keep you feeling happy and refreshed when you arrive at your destination.
1. Be prepared - Poor food choices are everywhere, so it’s your obligation to be prepared. Don't expect convenient and healthy food to be thrown at you. We all know airports aren’t known for healthy eating options. Packing some decaffeinated tea bags and some almonds in your carry-on luggage can be a life-saver.
2. Be informed - Call the airline or check their website ahead of time to find out if they have any healthy food options on-board. You can always try asking for vegetarian or vegan options in an effort to skip the processed foods.
3. Don’t make excuses - No matter what time your flight is, try not to skip a meal, your body needs that energy.
4. Stay hydrated! - Water is your traveling buddy. Avoid coffee and booze while in the air. Save those treats for when you get your feet on the ground.
5. Get exercise - Waiting for a connection? It can be as simple as finding some stairs and getting those legs moving.
6. Don’t settle - Modern air travel always seems rushed. Skip the first fast-food place you see. Coffee shops usually have nuts, oatmeal and fruit cups. Even newspaper stands can have something better than a burger.
7. Avoid salty food - Who wants to feel bloated in those cramped seats anyway?
8. Boredom - Keep mindless eating at bay. Try a nice cup of decaffeinated tea.
Follow these tips, and you’ll find your next flight will be a bit better, so long as your bags arrive at your destination with you!
KyLee Fournier is a Certified Sport Nutritionist living in beautiful Kelowna, BC. You can learn more about her at www.KyleeFournier.com. She also interviews popular vegans and vegetarians on her website www.vegbelly.com. She can be reached at [email protected].
Read more Guest Column articles
From time to time Castanet.net publishes well written articles 250 - 500 words in length on various local topics.
If you are interested in writing a column, email us at:
- Watch your language! Apr 15
- The Yellow Dog Project Mar 20
- Stop wasting time! Mar 14
- Now what? Feb 28
- Framework of a business Aug 29
- Ask Nurse Kris Jul 23
- Glenna Turnbull: Arts Seen! Jul 11
- Erotic Art and Mermaids Jul 4
- Festival Fashion: How to wear tie dye Jul 2
- Arts Seen! By Glenna Turnbull Jun 27
- Correct me if I'm wrong! Jun 26
- Festival Fashion: Footwear Jun 25
(Click for RSS instructions.)