Katy Perry has thrown herself into charity work following her split from John Mayer.
The 28-year-old 'Wide Awake' singer took her first trip to Madagascar in support of UNICEF this week to help draw attention to the importance of providing education and help to children on the African island, which is one of the poorest countries in the world.
The brunette beauty, who witnessed a range of programs in education, nutrition, health, child protection, sanitation and hygiene, admitted she is grateful for the experience and said in a statement: "In less than one week here in Madagascar, I went from crowded city slums to the most remote villages and my eyes were opened wide by the incredible need for a healthy life - nutrition, sanitation, and protection against rape and abuse - which UNICEF is stepping in to help provide.
"I am grateful to UNICEF for giving me the opportunity to see first-hand how their programs make a real difference in children's lives. Support for UNICEF is saving children, I am a witness to it."
Katy participated in several local activities by hand-washing clothes and playing with children in a playground.
She also pumped water at a well and visited a nutrition center to learn about the high rates of malnutrition in the country.
International donors had frozen development aid to Madagascar following a political crisis in 2009, preventing large numbers of the population from accessing basic health care and primary education.
Katy has been keeping busy since breaking up with her on/off boyfriend of seven months again recently.
Although the couple have called time on their romance, friends previously admitted they won't be surprised if they get back together again in the near future.
An insider recently said the split is "more of a break than a break-up. You'll probably see them hanging out sooner then later and hooking up again. They remain very friendly."
- Entertainment this weekEntertainment 9:16 am - 1,440 views
- Stodden's stand for sheepEntertainment 7,580 views
- What stopped Tom Hanks?Entertainment 9,612 views
- Underwood wants cowsEntertainment 10,022 views
- Lambert's lonely nightsEntertainment 11,729 views
- Smith: I try not to over-actEntertainment 13,260 views
- Kylie Jenner's diva demands Entertainment 13,686 views
- Victoria Justice is singleEntertainment 14,434 views
- Walker's dad suing PorscheEntertainment 15,837 views