Katy Perry has thrown herself into charity work following her split from John Mayer.
The 28-year-old 'Wide Awake' singer took her first trip to Madagascar in support of UNICEF this week to help draw attention to the importance of providing education and help to children on the African island, which is one of the poorest countries in the world.
The brunette beauty, who witnessed a range of programs in education, nutrition, health, child protection, sanitation and hygiene, admitted she is grateful for the experience and said in a statement: "In less than one week here in Madagascar, I went from crowded city slums to the most remote villages and my eyes were opened wide by the incredible need for a healthy life - nutrition, sanitation, and protection against rape and abuse - which UNICEF is stepping in to help provide.
"I am grateful to UNICEF for giving me the opportunity to see first-hand how their programs make a real difference in children's lives. Support for UNICEF is saving children, I am a witness to it."
Katy participated in several local activities by hand-washing clothes and playing with children in a playground.
She also pumped water at a well and visited a nutrition center to learn about the high rates of malnutrition in the country.
International donors had frozen development aid to Madagascar following a political crisis in 2009, preventing large numbers of the population from accessing basic health care and primary education.
Katy has been keeping busy since breaking up with her on/off boyfriend of seven months again recently.
Although the couple have called time on their romance, friends previously admitted they won't be surprised if they get back together again in the near future.
An insider recently said the split is "more of a break than a break-up. You'll probably see them hanging out sooner then later and hooking up again. They remain very friendly."
- Fisher memorial held in LAEntertainment 9:00 am - 205 views
- Heart attack but ok says starEntertainment 13,270 views
- Elton John excited for 70thEntertainment 2,696 views
- Phil Collins blasts prenupsEntertainment 2,180 views
- Mayer still loves after PerryEntertainment 1,499 views
- Kidman in pain from sceneEntertainment 1,977 views
- Amy Schumer bails Entertainment 1,290 views
- Amber Heard opens upEntertainment 1,232 views
- Schumer won't play BarbieEntertainment 1,049 views