Katy Perry has thrown herself into charity work following her split from John Mayer.
The 28-year-old 'Wide Awake' singer took her first trip to Madagascar in support of UNICEF this week to help draw attention to the importance of providing education and help to children on the African island, which is one of the poorest countries in the world.
The brunette beauty, who witnessed a range of programs in education, nutrition, health, child protection, sanitation and hygiene, admitted she is grateful for the experience and said in a statement: "In less than one week here in Madagascar, I went from crowded city slums to the most remote villages and my eyes were opened wide by the incredible need for a healthy life - nutrition, sanitation, and protection against rape and abuse - which UNICEF is stepping in to help provide.
"I am grateful to UNICEF for giving me the opportunity to see first-hand how their programs make a real difference in children's lives. Support for UNICEF is saving children, I am a witness to it."
Katy participated in several local activities by hand-washing clothes and playing with children in a playground.
She also pumped water at a well and visited a nutrition center to learn about the high rates of malnutrition in the country.
International donors had frozen development aid to Madagascar following a political crisis in 2009, preventing large numbers of the population from accessing basic health care and primary education.
Katy has been keeping busy since breaking up with her on/off boyfriend of seven months again recently.
Although the couple have called time on their romance, friends previously admitted they won't be surprised if they get back together again in the near future.
An insider recently said the split is "more of a break than a break-up. You'll probably see them hanging out sooner then later and hooking up again. They remain very friendly."
- Rogen hates his neighbor Entertainment 9:22 am - 23 views
- Kristen Stewart set to directEntertainment 9:21 am - 21 views
- Great grandfather StingEntertainment 9:21 am - 20 views
- Harrelson's pot plan issuesEntertainment 1,533 views
- Art in Action at local galleryEntertainment 457 views
- Billy Idol live in KelownaEntertainment 8,572 views
- Spiritual Ariana GrandeEntertainment 712 views
- Schumer will take picturesEntertainment 545 views
- Lea Michele's family tearsEntertainment 867 views