Police in Myanmar say 13 children died when an electrical fire broke out at a mosque in the country's largest city.
Police officer Thet Lwin said the blaze, early Tuesday, in Yangon was triggered by an overheated inverter "and not due to any criminal activity."
Myanmar has been on edge after sectarian violence between Buddhists and Muslims erupted in the central city of Meikhtila in March, killing dozens of people and displacing more than 10,000.
Thet Lwin says the mosque in eastern Yangon sheltered about 75 orphans, and most escaped unharmed by running out of a door after police knocked it open.
Firefighters extinguished the blaze and the two-story building was charred but intact.
Read more World News
- Parachutist hits houseVernon / N. Okanagan
- Boonstock liquor decision finalPenticton / S. Okanagan
- Disaster relief from stormKamloops
- Movie set burned in firePenticton / S. Okanagan
World Health Organization
World Trade Organization