Mar 31, 2013 / 7:10 am
Flea circus director Robert Birk says he was shocked to find all of his 300 fleas dead inside their transport box Wednesday morning.
The circus immediately scrambled to find a new batch so it could fulfil its engagements at an open-air fair in the town of Mechernich-Kommern in western Germany.
Michael Faber, who organizes the fair, told The Associated Press that an insect expert at a nearby university was able to train 50 fleas in time for the first show Sunday.
Faber says "I hope we'll get through this without any more fatalities."
Birk said it was the first time his circus had lost all of its fleas to the cold in one go.
Read more World News
- Convicted killer executed in Oklahoma
- Backcountry skier survives avalanche
- World leaders pay tribute to Mandela
- Sound sleeper locked inside empty plane
- Guilty plea in ricin-laced letters sent
- World leaders gather in South Africa
- NY reporters sue Homeland Security
- Justin Bieber arrives in Philippines
- Congress renews undetectable gun ban
- Cuddling biz closed amid brothel claims
- Thai premier says she will not resign
- Mob violence escalates in Africa
(Click for RSS instructions.)