Vernon and North Okanagan
Mar 28, 2013 / 2:00 pm
A blaze broke out at the Vernon bottle depot yesterday (Wednesday) afternoon, just before 2 p.m., but the fire was suppressed before it could get out of hand.
“It was a fire in the cardboard recycling that is next to the building,” explained Deputy Fire Chief Jack Blair.
“What had happened, the truck had dropped its load of cardboard for recycling purposes and there must have been something smoldering in his load, so when it came out of the back of the truck, it basically burst into flames.”
Crews were quickly on scene and there was no fire damage to the building,
Investigators were on scene this morning to determine the cause, but Blair says it could have been anything.
“It might have been smokers material, it could have been some hot coals from a BBQ, it could have been anything that had gotten in there. Its pretty hard to find anything at this point because its basically just a bunch of burned up cardboard.”
Read more Vernon / N. Okanagan News
- Push ups to save wife's teeth Dec 5
- Water main break in Vernon Dec 5
- Lumby RCMP looking for volunteers Dec 5
- Enderby home destroyed by fire Dec 4
- Vernon man stabbed in his home Dec 4
- Salmon Arm home invasion Dec 3
- Icy roads keep Salmon Arm RCMP busy Dec 3