Mar 27, 2013 / 1:36 pm
A senior is being called a hero after he died while trekking through snow in southern Alberta to find help for two others in a stuck vehicle.
Lorraine Berreth says Franklin Kuehn's brave attempt actually saved her and his wife.
She admits the rule of thumb is to always to stay with your vehicle.
But she says the trio had not told anyone that they were going out for a Sunday drive on back mountain roads near the community of Crowsnest Pass.
She says Kuehn felt he had no choice but to set out on foot.
Mounties told her they picked up a signal on Kuehn's cell phone the next day that helped them find his body and later locate the two women.
Read more Canada News
- Putin rattles sabre over Canada's claim
- WestJet surprises weary travellers
- New RCMP unit to fight human trafficking
- Rob Ford blames problems on police
- Reporter wants $100,000 in Furlong case
- Cop gets 45 days in jail for G20 assault
- Mother petitions over confiscated inhaler
- Viper venom may stop heart attacks
- HootSuite to help young entrepreneurs
- Cdn businessman killed says report
- Bahrain, Algeria, Iraq get new Cdn guns
- First responders honoured in Quebec