Mar 26, 2013 / 2:16 pm
A number of suspicious fires in Castlegar has left local first responders on the lookout for a possible arsonist.
Sgt. Laurel Mathew with the Castlegar RCMP says they responded to two separate fires within a one-hour span last night, both involving local churches.
The first fire was reported just before 11 p.m. and involved a parked vehicle belonging to the Red Cross, which was found engulfed in flames in the parking lot of the Kinnaird Community Church in the 1200 block of 26th Street.
The second fire involved the main church structure of St. Rita’s Catholic church on 7th Avenue. It was reported just before midnight and consumed the entire building. The administrative office and church hall were not damaged in the incident and no one was injured in either of the fires.
Both fires are under investigation and are being treated as suspicious.
Anyone with information is asked to call Castlegar RCMP or Crime Stoppers.
Send video and photos to [email protected]
Read more BC News
- Richmond man shot in tile store
- Incest father has sentence doubled
- BC NDP seeks to abolish Senate
- Driver plows SUV in grocery store
- BC strikes tentative union deals
- Teen labelled as high risk for terrorism
- Pot referendum pipe dream up in smoke
- Woman's body found in Burnaby suite
- Accused's ex-girlfriend helped sell drugs
- Grand theft vessel after ferry stolen
- Family of five submerged in river
- Highway 1 reopened
(Click for RSS instructions.)