Mar 25, 2013 / 12:45 pm
Competition will be wide open when the Okanagan Sun head to training camp in July.
The latest name on what has become the Sun coaching carousel, says no jobs are secure heading into the 2013 season.
"There is no solidified position on this team in my opinion. We have to come in here - everybody has to battle for a job. The best man will get it," says Shane Beatty.
"Every job is wide open. It has to be."
Beatty, who was hired as the club's sixth head coach in six years just before Christmas, met the media face-to-face for the first time Monday morning between recruiting trips.
After stumbling through a disastrous 3-7 season in 2012 first year head coach Gavin Lake was fired just a day after the regular season ended.
Beatty says he has watched film of last season and believes in order to turn the team around he has to work on fundamentals.
"Once the fundamentals are improved the kids will get better. The X's and O's will come along, we are going to be good at the X's and O's, we'll be sound, but we have to improve the fundamentals," says Beatty.
"Fundamentals to me are the technique, the setting of the hands, the footwork, your eye progression. Hitting the sleds, putting your hands where they are supposed to be on the offensive linemen or defensive linemen."
Beatty was in Vancouver for a recruiting trip on the weekend and believes several top players from a camp there will be heading to Kelowna for the team's spring camp in May.
He will head to Medicine Hat and Lethbridge later this week before a recruiting trip to Manitoba where he says he has already lined up interviews with about a dozen prospects.
Beatty credits the entire organization with the success they have had so far on the recruiting end.
"What I'm doing is just introducing myself and feeding off what they've done. I'm trying to tell them they'll have a great home to come to here - we're going to run things aggressively," says Beatty.
"A lot of these kids want to have a chance to go down to the United States and play after they are done here. That's what I've sold them on and that's the truth - just tell them the truth. If I think they can play down there I will give them the opportunity to play down there."
Beatty believes his edge in recruiting is the fact he has built up so many contacts with major schools south of the border.
As for the 2013 edition of the Sun, Beatty says he wants to introduce the same kind of style he used in the states which was a very aggressive style.
As for pressure in turning the franchise back to its glory days, Beatty says he doesn't feel any.
"Is there pressure? It doesn't get to me. I've been in front of 85,000 fans, 80,000 fans down to 1,200 fans, it doesn't really get to me. Just work hard no matter what."
Read more Sports News
- Kelowna Rockets
- West Kelowna Warriors
- Penticton Vees
- Vernon Vipers
- Kelowna Chiefs
- Penticton Lakers
- Okanagan College Coyotes
- Kelowna Minor Hockey
- Westside Minor Hockey
- Penticton Minor Hockey
- Vernon Minor Hockey
- Winfield Minor Hockey
- Pepsi Premier Hockey League
- Kelowna Ball Hockey
- Okanagan Ball Hockey
- Penticton Ball Hockey
- Sunplex Ball Hockey
- Field Hockey Okanagan
- Okanagan Rockets
- Lake Country Old-Timers Hockey Association
- Orchard City Hockey League
- Kelowna Heat Spring Hockey
- Okanagan All Stars Hockey Club
- BCHL | KIJHL | WHL | NHL
- Kelowna Women's Soccer
- Kelowna Men's Soccer
- Okanagan Challenge
- Kelowna United FC
- Central Okanagan Youth
- Kelowna Youth Soccer
- Westside Youth Soccer
- Rutland Youth Soccer
- Lake Country Youth Soccer
- Penticton Soccer Club
- South Okanagan Similkameen Youth Soccer
- Thompson Okanagan Football Club
- Sunplex Futsal League
- Pepsi Premier Soccer League
- CSA | FIFA | MLS
- Kelowna AquaJets
- Liquid Lightning Swim Club
- Ogopogo Summer Swim Club
- Okanagan Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Badminton Club
- The Penticton Yacht & Tennis
- OK Mission Tennis
- Lakeview Heights Tennis
- Vernon Tennis Association
- Squash BC Okanagan League
- ESPN Tennis
Does your local team have a website?
Email us to add your community sports link.
Cover your team's games! Write up a story and email us [email protected] for publication here.
- Bruins, Canadiens battle for Atlantic Division lead
- Argonauts add Tim Burke as defensive co-ordinator
- FIFA World Cup draw: 5 things to know
- Undermanned Maple Leafs searching for positives
- Jets land in Florida full of confidence
- Rob Ford tells U.S. sports radio show that wiretaps are 'outright lies'
- Avalanche bring NHL's best road record to Edmonton
- Jaguars out to pounce on hapless Texans, again
- Patrick Chan trails Hanyu in ISU Grand Prix Final
- Mark Giordano scores in return as Flames top Coyotes
- Did You See That? Thrilling finish for Habs in New Jersey
- Canadiens earn wild shootout win over Devils
(Click for RSS instructions.)