Mar 22, 2013 / 1:02 am
QUANTICO, Va. - One person was dead after a shooting at Marine Base Quantico in the U.S., and authorities were in a standoff early Friday with the suspect, who had barricaded himself in barracks, a military spokesman said.
The shooting happened around 11 p.m. Thursday, and the base was put on lockdown, Lt. Agustin Solivan said.
"It's still a standoff situation," Solivan said.
Solivan said they believe the suspect, whose name wasn't released, is a staff member at the officer candidate school at the base.
No information on the victim was immediately released.
The base is in the Virginia suburbs near Washington, D.C.
Read more World News
- Wave of attacks in Iraq, kill at least 70
- John Lennon guitar sells for $408,000
- Arrests made in Las Vegas iPad killing
- Mice and lizards return from space
- Plane crashes at airshow in Turkey
- One winning ticket for $590M Powerball
- Pope decries banks over people
- French gay marriage law signed
- Car drives into crowd at Virginia parade
- Powerball jackpot $600M and rising
- Plane catches fire at Moscow airport
- First Saudi woman scales Mount Everest
(Click for RSS instructions.)