Mar 22, 2013 / 1:02 am
QUANTICO, Va. - One person was dead after a shooting at Marine Base Quantico in the U.S., and authorities were in a standoff early Friday with the suspect, who had barricaded himself in barracks, a military spokesman said.
The shooting happened around 11 p.m. Thursday, and the base was put on lockdown, Lt. Agustin Solivan said.
"It's still a standoff situation," Solivan said.
Solivan said they believe the suspect, whose name wasn't released, is a staff member at the officer candidate school at the base.
No information on the victim was immediately released.
The base is in the Virginia suburbs near Washington, D.C.
Read more World News
- Driving 50-ton battle tank - not easy
- Russian diplomats accused of fraud
- White House changes story
- Three years in prison for ivory smuggler
- Nelson Mandela, prisoner and president
- Nelson Mandela dies at 95
- Powerful storm slams Europe
- Suicide bombing in Yemen kills 18
- Wildlife workers try to rescue whales
- 1 killed as gales hit Scotland
- Two dead in shooting near N.C. school
- School shooting 911 calls released
(Click for RSS instructions.)