Mar 21, 2013 / 9:20 pm
A British Columbia man who suffered a potentially-deadly snake bite in Costa Rica is recovering in a Vancouver hospital thanks to the quick work of a medical team and an emergency flight to Seattle to pick up an antivenin drug.
The 61-year-old Metro Vancouver man was bitten by a poisonous snake while walking along a beach, and quickly developed symptoms ranging from the swelling of his leg and bleeding from his nose and eyes to kidney failure.
He was flown back to Vancouver where staff at Vancouver General Hospital and the BC Drug and Poison Information Centre managed to identify the kind of snake and began the search for an antivenin drug.
The centre's director, Dr. Roy Purssell, says the drug was found at the Seattle zoo and an air ambulance was dispatched within hours to pick it up.
He says once the drug was administered the patient began to improve almost immediately.
The man is now listed in stable condition in hospital.
Do you have a snake bite story to send, either from here in the Okanagan or a vacation experience, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more BC News
- ATV rider swept over falls, killed
- Evacuation order lifted near Ashcroft
- Rock hits tent killing girl, 10 and her dad
- Hwy. 97C at Ashcroft is open
- Fisherman catches a body in his net
- Forest fire Evacuation Alert now an Order
- Artifacts stolen from God's house
- Evacuation alert in Thompson-Nicola
- Kamloops man shot in leg
- Mounties shoot man on SkyTrain
- Targeted shooting at a Coquitlam home
- Search for BC teen continues
(Click for RSS instructions.)