Mar 19, 2013 / 8:34 pm
West Kelowna Fire Rescue responded Tuesday afternoon to a report of fire in the basement of a house in the 2900 block of Bentley Road.
The call was reported at.around 4:00 pm by the homeowners, who had just returned home, and West Kelowna responded with 8 personnel, 2 Engines, 1 Safety vehicle and a Command Unit.
First arriving units reported light smoke coming from inside the residence, but once entry was made they encountered large amounts of black smoke that lead them to one of the bedrooms. The crew found the seat of the fire and extinguished it.
There were no injuries.
Fire damage was contained to the bedroom, but there is significant smoke damage to the rest of the structure.
The cause is determined to have been a space heater that was placed too close to combustible products.
A damage estimate is not known at this time, and the four family members are in the care of Emergency Support Services for the next 72 hours.
The home was insured.
Read more West Kelowna articles
- Golf course fire ruled an arson May 13
- Uncovering youth homelessness May 13
- Westshore water advisory May 12
- West Kelowna will control its own pests May 12
- Shannon Lake clubhouse video May 11
- Van goes into restaurant May 11
- Clubhouse destroyed by fire May 11
- Mystery driver wrecks car May 10
- Motorists asked to avoid Angus Drive May 10
- Burnt out headlight tips off cops May 9