Mar 19, 2013 / 10:30 am
A collection of some of Princess Diana's most memorable evening gowns has fetched over 800,000 pounds ($1.2 million) at a London auction.
Kerry Taylor Auctions say the highlight - a velvet navy gown Diana wore in 1985 to a White House gala dinner, where she danced with Hollywood star John Travolta -was sold for 240,000 pounds to a British man.
The Victor Edelstein gown came slightly below the expected maximum price, which was set at 300,000 pounds.
Other dresses at Tuesday's vintage fashion auction included several Catherine Walker gowns worn for state visits around the world.
Diana sold dozens of her dresses at a New York charity auction at the suggestion of her son, Prince William, in 1997 - months before she died in a Paris car crash.
Read more World News
- Suicide bomber takes cadets hostage
- Face transplant saves man's life (photo)
- 80-year-old stands on top of the world
- Tiger gets hairball surgery
- Stockholm riots continue
- UK attack could be terrorists
- Captors release 7
- FBI kill man in Orlando
- Trial set for Costa Concordia captain
- Climbers aged 80 & 81 race up Everest
- Search for tornado survivors nears end
- Race on to find tornado survivors
(Click for RSS instructions.)