Mar 17, 2013 / 7:08 am
Greek authorities say police are lobbing chemicals inside a central prison, trying to smoke out a convicted murderer who is holding five hostages.
Alket Rizaj, an Albanian who has escaped from prison twice already, has been locked in tense negotiations with police for nearly 18 hours. Authorities say he is demanding a getaway car.
Officials in Greece's justice ministry also said Sunday that Rizaj is holding five hostages at the central Malandrino prison, with another having either escaped or been released. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the press.
They also said Rizaj claims to have explosives, guns and a grenade.
Read more World News
- Stockholm riots continue
- UK attack could be terrorists
- Captors release 7
- FBI kill man in Orlando
- Trial set for Costa Concordia captain
- Climbers aged 80 & 81 race up Everest
- Search for tornado survivors nears end
- Race on to find tornado survivors
- Suicide in Notre Dame Cathedral
- 14 Afghan police killed in day of attacks
- Tornado death toll now at 24
- Did cheese fight lead to poisoning?
(Click for RSS instructions.)