Mar 17, 2013 / 7:08 am
Greek authorities say police are lobbing chemicals inside a central prison, trying to smoke out a convicted murderer who is holding five hostages.
Alket Rizaj, an Albanian who has escaped from prison twice already, has been locked in tense negotiations with police for nearly 18 hours. Authorities say he is demanding a getaway car.
Officials in Greece's justice ministry also said Sunday that Rizaj is holding five hostages at the central Malandrino prison, with another having either escaped or been released. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the press.
They also said Rizaj claims to have explosives, guns and a grenade.
Read more World News
- Arrests made in Las Vegas iPad killing
- Mice and lizards return from space
- Plane crashes at airshow in Turkey
- One winning ticket for $590M Powerball
- Pope decries banks over people
- French gay marriage law signed
- Car drives into crowd at Virginia parade
- Powerball jackpot $600M and rising
- Plane catches fire at Moscow airport
- First Saudi woman scales Mount Everest
- North Korea fires 3 short-range missiles
- 60 injured as trains collide
(Click for RSS instructions.)