Mar 17, 2013 / 7:07 am
Indian police said they arrested five men Sunday in connection with the gang rape of a Swiss woman who was on a cycling vacation with her husband in central India.
All five men admitted to the attack, which occurred Friday night as the woman and her husband camped out in a forest in Datia district of Madhya Pradesh state, said D. K. Arya, a senior police officer. Another police officer said earlier that six men had been arrested.
Arya said police were searching for two more men involved in the attack.
The couple told police that the woman had been raped by seven or eight men, but that it was dark and they could not be sure of the exact number, Arya said. They said the husband also was attacked by the men.
The woman, 39, was treated Saturday at a hospital in the nearby city of Gwalior and was released later that day, police said.
The couple were planning to travel later Sunday to New Delhi, India's capital, police said.
The attack came three months after the fatal gang rape of a woman aboard a New Delhi bus outraged Indians and spurred the government to pass laws to protect women.
Read more World News
- NORAD gets ready to track Santa
- Aircraft crash in Afghanistan kills 6
- Car bomb strikes Hezbollah stronghold
- China says clash organized by terrorists
- Pair charged in Oklahoma shooting
- Mega Millions jackpot climbs to $ 586M
- Israel, Lebanon move to ease tensions
- Wildfire in Big Sur destroys 15 homes
- Charged over offensive tweets
- Car bombs kills 23 in Iraq
- NASA debates spacewalk fix
- Fidel Castro in 'excellent health'
(Click for RSS instructions.)