Mar 16, 2013 / 12:25 pm
Saturday, March 16 is PLAY THE RECORDER DAY, and the Merrie Pipers, Kelowna’s adult recorder orchestra, celebrated by giving a concert at the Atrium at the Rotary Centre for the Arts.
The Merrie Pipers are a group of young seniors who formed 10 years ago as a class at the Society for Learning in Retirement in Kelowna.
For the first several years, everyone played the soprano recorder, but as they progressed, other instruments were incorporated and the orchestra now consists of 2 sopranos, 4 altos, 5 tenors, 2 basses and 1 contrabass.
Repetoire ranges from the 1500s to contemporary.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library
- Stuart Park: 'Stay warm my friends' Dec 3
- Mission Creek trees get festive flair Dec 3
- More delays for Grossmith case Dec 3
- Council: New cop shop long overdue Dec 3
- Civic award nominations now open Dec 2
- City sand truck has trouble Dec 2
- Court hears drug dealer feared for life Dec 2
- Boparai pleads guilty to threats Dec 2
- Bus hits Jetta; Gordon reopened Dec 2
- Alberta storms affecting flights Dec 2