Mar 14, 2013 / 1:15 am
Florida's lieutenant governor resigned and nearly 60 other people were charged in a scandal involving a purported veterans charity that authorities said Wednesday was a front for a $300 million gambling operation.
The organization, Allied Veterans of the World, runs nearly 50 Internet parlours with computerized slot machine-style games, which have come under scrutiny in Florida but are in a grey legal area.
Even so, investigators said the charity was a fraud and executives gave precious little to veterans while lavishing millions on themselves, spending it on boats, beachfront condos and Maseratis, Ferraris and Porsches.
Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi called the alleged scam "callous" and "despicable" and said it "insults every American who ever wore a military uniform."
Lt. Gov. Jennifer Carroll was not among those charged but resigned a day after she was questioned by investigators.
The public relations firm she co-owned, 3 N&JC, did work for St. Augustine-based Allied Veterans. A Navy veteran who served in the Gulf War, Carroll also appeared in a TV ad in 2011 promoting the organization's work on behalf of veterans and their families.
Authorities refused to discuss any ties between the 53-year-old Republican and the investigation. Her aides had no comment.
Read more Business News
|QHR Technologies Inc||1.18||-0.01|
|Anavex Life Sciences||0.329||+0.014|
|Copper Mountain Mining||1.53||-0.05|
Big Picture Bank earnings and upbeat economic news highlight an active week In contrast with last week’s quieter, U.S. holiday-shortened week, the first week of December was a comparatively acti...
This column is the last of three, for how to prove your personal injury claim. It is the piece de resistance of the trilogy, the Chuck Norris piece – the final say! As mentioned in the first two...
The bank manager just phoned and asked for full and immediate repayment of the line of credit because the latest, (and they were late!), financial statements showed continuing losses and falling sales...
- Ad or not, soaring WestJet viral video a branding win: marketing experts
- Mobile trend will push phone, tablet ownership past PCs in 2014: IDC Canada
- Court strikes down several claims in wheat board lawsuit, but case move ahead
- Airlines forecast big profit jump to $19.7 billion in 2014 as fuel prices fall, demand rises
- US business stockpiles jump 0.7 per cent in October, biggest gain since January
- US hits firms evading Iran sanctions, while Congress debate over new measures goes on
- Bombardier and Embraer split American Airlines regional jet order
- Britain's phone-hacking trial hears Queen Elizabeth II annoyed by nut-eating police officers
- CPPIB buys portfolio of agricultural land from Assiniboia Farmland LP for $128M
- US unemployment aid applications surge to 368,000, reflecting bump in claims after holiday
- BoC's Poloz says low interest rates needed to keep deflation at bay
- New house prices rose in October after flat September: StatsCan