Mar 13, 2013 / 4:12 pm
Shares of BlackBerry rose more than eight per cent on Wednesday after the company announced it has sold 1 million of its new smartphones to a mystery buyer.
The Waterloo, Ont.-based company said an "established partner" made the purchase, though it cited confidentiality reasons for not revealing the identity.
Shares moved ahead $1.21 to close at $16.04 on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
It's the first time the smartphone maker has revealed sales data for its new devices.
Chief executive Thorsten Heins has said the new BlackBerry Z10 touchscreen phone is selling better than the company expected, while Canadian carrier Bell (TSX:BCE) said last month that preorders broke its previous records for BlackBerry presales.
Meanwhile, the U.S. rollout of the device continues, with Verizon Wireless announcing that it will begin stocking the BlackBerry Z10 on March 28, with preorders starting on Thursday.
Read more Business News
|QHR Technologies Inc||0.55||-0.03|
|Anavex Life Sciences||0.54||+0.05|
|Copper Mountain Mining||1.52||-0.16|
The majority of Canadians prefer to make their big move during the summer season. There are a variety of reasons for choosing this time of year: it is easier to transport boxes in non-icy condition...
It appears as though more people these days are looking for an investment in real estate which offers cash flow returns. The fundamentals of cash flow type properties had been turned upsi...
Getintheloop Marketing Ltd. recently launched their membership platform, Getintheloop.ca. The new website offers an exclusive members area for access to discounts in the South Okanagan on premium res...
- Sharktopus views turns on YouTube TV
- Social media makes Disney blink
- BCE looks to cut $170 million
- TD Bank: Loonie could fall to 90 cents US
- Mixed results for North American markets
- Ex-Enron CEO cuts new deal
- Canadian dollar nudges upward
- Microsoft extends agreement with Yahoo
- Iamgold profits drop 91 per cent in Q1
- Rogers puts pressure on Bell Astral deal
- Beer company roots for Canadian teams
- New milestone for Dow Jones