Mar 12, 2013 / 11:18 am
It would seem oddsmakers and pundits are in agreement - Archbishop Angelo Scola is the favourite to be named the new Pope.
Numerous gambling websites are allowing you to place a wager on who will succeed Pope Benedict XVI.
Oddsmakers have pegged Scola, 71, the prohibitive favourite with odds ranging from 5/2 to 2/1.
Scola, the son of a socialist truck driver, was appointed Archbishop of Milan by Pope Benedict XVI two years ago.
Brazilian Cardinal Odilo Pedro Scherer is the bettors' second choice with odds running between 7/2 and 4/1.
Canadian contender, Cardinal Marc Ouellet is running as the fifth choice with odds of between 9/1 and 12/1.
At the present time, 115 Cardinals have made their way into their first secret conclave vote in the Sistine Chapel to begin the process of electing the 266th Pope.
Read more World News
- N Korea proposes nuclear talks with US
- Rowhani wins Iran election
- A parade fit for a Queen
- Hezbollah vows to keep fighting in Syria
- Woman mauled by chimp can't sue state
- Early results in Iran presidential election
- Newtown, Conn: six months later
- Boston woman pays $560K to park
- 2 found dead from Colo. wildfire
- Chemical plant explosion kills 1, 70 hurt
- Nazi SS commander found in Minnesota
- Syria's Assad used chemical weapons
(Click for RSS instructions.)